Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Art of Letting Go

Letting go is an art form to me personally & I say that because as humans, when we come across something we like there's a really good chance that we'll become attached to it. And the day we lose that something whether it be a point in time or something you can physically grasp, we become uneasy, we miss it. Now what happens after is not letting go, because our memories and our feelings are still holding onto something we no longer have or can have. Some of us don't know how to deal with a "loss" or a change. Call it what you may depending on your perspective. But we all handle things differently.
Some people try and completely forget that point in time (which is not actually possible). And the harder you try to forget the more it will linger in the back of your mind because you're still thinking about it.
Others pretend like it never happened, but the day that song comes on, or they're walking by that spot where they were once so happy in, all the feelings and memories rush back. Now why is that?

It's simple, we are territorial people and when we like something, we want it to stay that way forever. And when we lose that privilege, we don't want to be reminded of what we no longer have because it was a "loss" or a change for the worse.

Now some people know how to deal with change in a more positive manner and this is something I've learned how to adapt in my earlier years. I was about 16 years old when I finally "let go" of things that were destroying me. I learned that if I wanted to feel like shit, I could do it. If I wanted to be happy, I could do it. I'm not materialistic so I didn't find joy in having things, I found joy in knowing things and experiencing things. Part of it was because I wasn't born rich so I had to learn how to use my imagination and express my creativity. When it comes to changes that make me a bit uneasy, I will have a set of moments fresh in my mind that I want to remember in more than one way because those were truly good times. I usually will find music and choreograph to it or write a post that fully expresses how I felt, feel and hope to feel about that point in time. Sometimes I take what I learned from that particular moment in time and write posts to inspire my peers and just share my experiences and how it built me up to be a better person.

It's important to understand that nothing is forever. For anything to be alive, there has to be something constantly being done to sustain it; to keep it progressing. When I say anything I mean everything from ideas, to relationships to love to motivation. You can't just find happiness in something and then just be happy for the rest of your life. Happiness is a constant state of mind that needs to be fueled by the things that make us happy or things that we hold value to.

Even positive people struggle when it comes to change. An important saying that I came across was, "Don't be upset that it's over, be glad that it happened." Life is about being in the now, and we can't fully be in the now if our minds are stuck in the past. This mentality will only drag us down and mess up how we interpret the future.
Our past is our foundation, and it's important to appreciate it. We remember all the eventful times in our life, so there is no use trying to forget the worst and best thoughts because they will always be around.

My advice to you is to live in the moments and get everything you can out of it so that everything may unfold the way it's supposed to. So that when ever you do look back, you do it without regret.
When it comes time to let go, just remember that not everything or everyone is meant to stay. Change teaches us how to be strong, open-minded, and it's pretty much getting you to where you're supposed to be, where you want to be, whether you realize that or not.

I encourage you to find your art form. Letting go is not easy at first but it gets easier as you find your own  way to pocket these memories and use them for future endeavors. Your past is your foundation, grow with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment